WORKSHOP #1: INTRODUCTIONS & ELLIOTT FIELD TRIPS OUTLINE
Southwestern Oregon Community College [SWOCC]
F 251 Recreation Resource Management
April 14, 2020
Tasha Livingstone, Instructor, Forestry/Natural Resources
Dr. Bob Zybach, Program Manager, www.ORWW.org
David Gould, Field Guide, Coos Bay Timber Operators, Inc.
Jerry Phillips, Elliott State Forest Historian
Lecture (39:34 min.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muni_-uUar0&t=17s*
EQUIPMENT: Personal Computer with WiFi, Printer Access, External Hard Drive
NOTE TAKING: Audio/Video Counter, Internet URLs, Hard Copies
REFERENCES: ORWW Links, PDF Files, JPEGs, MP3, MP4
FORMATS Word.doc, PDF, HTML, JPEG, MP3, MP4
About ORWW: http://www.orww.org/About.html
2019 SWOCC Student Elliott Draft Recreation Plan: http://www.orww.org/Elliott_Forest/Recreation/2019_Plan/
2019 SWOCC Elliott Field Trip Reports: http://www.orww.org/Elliott_Forest/Recreation/2019_Plan/Appendix_C.html
2018-2019 ORWW Elliott Field Trip Websites: http://www.orww.org/Elliott_Forest/Recreation/Field_Trips/
2019 Zybach SWOCC Draft Plan Article: http://www.orww.org/Elliott_Forest/References/Academic/OR_Fish_&_Wildlife/Zybach_20190621.pdf
Elliott Forest History: http://www.orww.org/Elliott_Forest/History/
Elliott Oral Histories: http://www.orww.org/Elliott_Forest/History/Oral/Oral_History_TOC-2019.pdf
Elliott Forest References: http://www.orww.org/Elliott_Forest/References/
Elliott Forest Maps: http://www.orww.org/Elliott_Forest/Maps/
Bob's Lecture & Links* (45+ minutes)
Recreation Plan Article (25 minutes)
Video Drone Documentation (15 minutes)
Section 106/SHPO (15 minutes)
Jerry's Test Oral History Audio & Transcription (20 minutes, simultaneously)
Cougar Pass Proposal (30+ minutes)
Personal Interests (Remaining time to equal 3 1/2 hours, using given links)
1. Early historical Indian foot trails and gathering locations, 1850 to 1930;
2. Pioneer settler and trapper pack trails, 1878 to 1930;
3. Pre-Elliott County Roads and logging roads, 1900 to 1930;
4. Elliott CCC roads and trails, 1932 to 1940;
5. Early historical Elliott logging roads, 1930 to 1961;
6. Columbus Day Storm Elliott salvage logging road network, 1962 to 1972;
7. CCC Cougar Pass forest fire lookout, 1936 to 2020;
8. Deans Mountain historical forest fire lookout and radio tower, 1914 to 2020.
9. Elk Peak and Flag Peak/Trail Butte lookouts.
*NOTE: Cougar Pass is incorrectly referred to as "Cougar Mountain" at one point in the lecture, and Elk Peak is incorrectly referred to as "Elk Mountain," which is in Tillamook County, throughout.
© 2020 Oregon Websites & Watersheds Project, Inc. & NW Maps Co.